9.28.2008

A new W in Dallas

They say our current president and family are moving to the 'mountainous' Dallas area. (we're not Kansas but we do our skiing in Colorado for a reason) I attended the installation service of Bishop W. Earl Bledsoe to the North Texas Annual Conference. I know nothing about him other than the bios that can easily be googled. I did however like his presence at worship this afternoon. I have to admit, I mostly went because I love worship. I love to see how people address pomp and circumstance. What is being done to connect an African American man born in 1950 with the population of Dallas and a denomination on the edge of division, loosing members and at a dire lack of young adults. Other than the college choir that was performing and the Bishop's children I don't know that I saw another person in their 20's in the room. I'm sure there were a handful spread among the room, but that's all. I wonder why? Why is the church not popular to our twenty-somethings? I know it is a historical issue and not just our generation, but why? The music was wonderful, the sermon kept my attention, there was an effort to incorporate children and dance. Where are the other church addicts? Where are my friends from seminary who created more opportunity for worship b/c Sunday Church and Tuesday chapel wasn't enough? So, Bishop W. Earl Bledsoe, I heard you and I do believe that in some way I hear what you hear. But, do you hear what I hear? A screaming silence in the absence of people like me.

1 comment:

Alex Williams said...

Earl Bledsoe used to be our DS before he got appointed bishop several weeks ago. I've met him numerous times but never got to know him very well. With everything that John says about him, and all that I saw him do, basically he is a badass. I hope he does what I think he can for your conference.