I went to an event yesterday that was our conference's participation in a new campaign of the umc. The event happened in the eastern portion of my neighborhood, Oak Cliff. This part of the neighborhood is a predominately Spanish speaking population. It was noted by one of the organizers that the only English speaking folks at the event were clergy and other 'church professionals.' But, all the written materials I saw were in English, the speaking that I heard was in English. We obviously need to Rethink Church. Was it that the expected crowd of English speakers didn't turn out? Scared by the humidity or the drive into 'the hood'? I've often had to explain my living in a quite nice and quaint Oak Cliff neighborhood rather than the rough and tumble reputation my dear OC can have.
After this I went to church - to pull carpet. Lots of folks showed up to help and we had the room cleared in 30 minutes. So, I followed this with a stop at the Praise Band rehearsal. This was the moment of the day that unexpectedly rejuvenated me. I do love being at their rehearsals, but last night I was particularly uplifted by the camaraderie and music.
I want to Rethink Church, but there is still some of church now that I'd like to hang onto. Nights like yesterday for one. But, then again even last night could be better. What if rehearsal was open? What if other people got to experience the fellowship and music making processes that I get to when I sit in on a rehearsal. What happens when we open the doors and no one comes in? What happens when we move outside and people walk by or come after the event is over? How do we find the balance in being the church when and where folks need us to be and still be true to our own needs? When do we stop waiting for a committee on interpretation and simply go and be the body of Christ?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment