8.27.2009

Sometimes the little things in life are so big and the big things in life so little and the rest just floats around in the in between. I'm surrounded for the 14th time in my life and 7th year in a row by boxes. Yes, count them 14 1/2 moves in 28 years. El Paso, Virginia Beach condo, VB house, Phoenix rental, Phoenix house, Tucson, TCU dorm, (my parent's move to Austin), TCU house, (2 summers in Wisconsin), DC, Austin Apt, Austin Apartment 2, Berkeley house, Berkeley dorm, Dallas apartment, North Richland Hills. I've slowly moved boxes of books over the last couple of weeks, but it really all comes down to the next two days and I'm out of location 13 for good. This phase of life on my own comes to an end. And so something that should be a little thing in life considering the experience I have in moving is BIG.
In the midst of this preparing to move and incorporate my life with someone else, I've spent two weekends at the lake with family and another week in Austin. Yesterday I had a job interview.
One of those big things that becomes small. I wonder what other folks experiences with recent job interviews are because it seemed I had the job before I even got to the room. I was asked one question - what kind of teaching have I done since none is reflected in my resume. The interviewer then told me all about the program asked if I had any questions and I was off to fill out the paperwork. So, what happened there? Is my resume so stunning? I've spent a lot of time on it, but I'm not that convinced. Did my black skirt, white t-shirt and flip-flops seal the deal? What is it? I am actually a bit disappointed. I was ready for the challenge. I want to be quizzed. I want to have to think and deliver on the spot for the unexpected question. Where was the what do you do when the boy wants to be a princess and the girl want to be a southern Baptist preacher? How do you manage a room of 18 participating kids and 1 disruptor?
Then there is the small things in life that are big. My fiance climbed the tree in his front yard last night to save a cat. I love it!

2 comments:

shelley scott studio said...

you got the job! well duh!

J.Oya said...

managing kids in one room while trying to make them learn something is a circus act...

...one that i'm not yet proficient in. hopefully it's going well for you!