2.14.2009

2.7 seconds on a bull named fu man chu

I love Texas and was recently reminded of that at the fort worth stock show and rodeo. the pride of one group of people in their state and culture is so prominent among rodeo folks. all the country songs of ropin' and ridin' come to life. Chivalry is not dead. And there is just something great about the smell of animal poo. Two events marked this event for me. First, as we wandered the stock show marketplace we came across a booth run by two men that Joe and I are acquainted with. Both men coming up to us completely separately tipped there hat as they shook my hand hello and again for goodbye. I don' know why but there is just something that warms the heart in that simple age old gesture. I was struck second by the pageantry, patriotism and faith of the opening ceremonies of the rodeo. For 36 performances dozens upon dozens of horses and riders parade around the arena led by two sets of the 6 flags that have flown over Texas. In the manner of the wave sections of audience members rise, remove their hats and then sit again as the USA and Texas Flags pass their section. No one person sang the national anthem, but the whole crowd together and when fireworks shot of in this enclosed arena those flag bearing horses hardly twitched. The entire rodeo is accompanied by a live rodeo orchestra. From the national anthem, 8 seconds on a buckin' bull to the entr'acte clown show. Finally, Joe nor I know why, but we know a lot about the rodeo. We know what's going on in each event, the order of events and so forth. But why? Why are somethings just known? Does everyone know these things about the rodeo? I was never a rodeo cowgirl nor a part of a rodeo family. It is clear why I know excessive knowledge on the church or theatre, but where along the way did rodeo 101 come into my brain?

No comments: