if a diamond ring is part of growing up, then I have to admit to growing up a little more Sunday night.
Seven years ago in the spring of 2002 I started dating a boy named Joe. We worked together in the scene shop at TCU. We dated for a year and half until I left for AmeriCorps *NCCC in October of 2003. We attempted a long distance relationship following winter break, but realized that wasn't for us at the time. Over the next years we stayed in touch and took a few vacations together between dating other folks. During my last year of seminary we began talking more and more and spending more time on my trips back to Texas together. Joe came to Berkeley for my graduation last May, I traveled for most of the month of June. Then, out of the entire country, I happened to find a job that actually uses my degree in Dallas and we slowly began dating again in July. The last year has been the run of a relationship that is a few months going on seven years. There was a lot we knew of each other and a lot we're still learning (about ourselves and each other).
Sunday night I was asked to come over to his house for dinner at 9pm. I walked in the front door to find an empty (and clean) house. I made my way to the backyard assuming he was working the grill to find him sitting at a candlelit table set for two in the middle of the yard. As I sit down at the table and we begin chatting Joe pulled a card out and handed it to me. He recently fell and I'd spent the early part of last week making him dinners and rubbing his back. He says he wants to thank me for taking care of him and I mean a lot to him. As I open the thank you card and begin to read the inscription what is really happening starts to hit. There is a heart shaped paper attached to the side of the card. I asked what the characters on the card say and he snatched the heart of the card and lit it on fire! The heart flamed and then flashed so bright creating a blind spot that once I regained sight in that spot he held the most beautiful ring. He is still saying wonderful romantic things that through magic, fire and jewelry I can't remember except the last line, "I want you to be my wife." I stood up to hug and kiss him, at which time he says, "Is that a yes?" Of course! Yes! Apparently yes was the cue for the friend in the field behind the house to light the fireworks. We watched the fireworks and he placed the ring on my finger.
Today I wear a beautiful white gold ring. The ring is his great grandmother's and the center diamond is from a brooch of his mother's. Joe designed the ring and had it built by the jewelry
store his father worked in when Joe was growing up.
To answer the first of your questions:
Yes, I am thrilled
I had hints, but did not completely expect it to happen last night. Really I thought it be at least another year until I got some of the clues lately, even then I thought I had six months or so.
The shock has not quite worn off yet.
I am still constantly looking at the ring and the card.
We do not know when the ceremony will be, we're in no hurry at all.
Joe works in the film industry and offices about 3 miles from my apartment, he owns a home in North Richland Hills -about 30 minutes from my apartment.

4 comments:
Congratulations Kelly! I'm so happy for you! I hope you two have a wonderful and blessed life together!
Congrats, I like the little guy, even though he is terrible at the Wii.
We are really happy for you.
Congratulations! He sounds like a wonderful guy, and I am so happy for you! The ring is absolutely gorgeous, too! :)
Kelly!! YAY! I was just fooling around on Facebook and since I'm trying to start a blog for my church youth group, I saw yours...and well!! CONGRATS on your engagement!! Peace & Blessings, allison :)
Post a Comment