My commute to church on a Sunday morning (read: no traffic) is 30 minutes. During rush hours (read:6am-9am 3pm-7pm across the metroplex) it can take about 1 hour. Yesterday it took me 3 hours. I talked to mom, little brother, read email, played BeJeweled, pondered life's greatest mysteries and wrote this blog in my head. I should have known to get off the freeway when I entered it at 4pm and the alert sign (you know those ones that flash amber alerts and low visibility) displayed: 635W at Josey Lane Accident All lanes closed. But the effort to move out of the left lane across five lanes of already stopped traffic at Hillcrest (read: 7 miles east of Josey Ln) seemed too much of an effort. 2 hours later I revisted this decision, moved one lane over and couldn't go any further. So I waited it out. With nowhere special to be but home I was surprised to find myself calm and patient. (read: I HATE commuting and traffic ask my fiance-I create a world to avoid it at all costs)
Less then a mile from Josey lane as the current alert sign read 635W at Josey Lane Accident HOV and left 3 lanes closed I had a realization about my state of contentment. For an accident to close 5 lanes of traffic by 4pm something major happened. There are people who won't get home tonight-or may be ever. But I will. I'll miss my yoga class, but still get to eat dinner, watch LOST and old episodes of Dexter with my beloved. The sign went blank at that moment. With in seconds all lanes of traffic began to move. Within seconds I began to see the dust, tire marks, burnt out flares and a major chunk of the concrete divider between East and West missing.
And so I did. I made it home. Happy and thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment