2.12.2010

[mel-uh-drah-muh]

mel⋅o⋅dra⋅ma

[mel-uh-drah-muh, -dram-uh] Show IPA
–noun
1.a dramatic form that does not observe the laws of cause and effect and that exaggerates emotion and emphasizes plot or action at the expense of characterization.
2.melodramatic behavior or events.
3.(in the 17th, 18th, and early 19th centuries) a romantic dramatic composition with music interspersed.

I have begun to wonder if melodrama is the community theatre solution to avoiding bad theatre. I'm sure I've experienced a great deal of melodrama (in theatre-not just life) but it has only recently really been on my radar. My first struggle with it of recent was last fall at a theatre that I've since worked on two (non melodrama) shows for. I believe it was a good production and that I either don't understand or don't care for the style of melodrama. Last night I went to see another production in the melodramatic style and was equally confused. It was a great time-the show was fun-the endless popcorn throwing was a delight.
But, the next morning I just can't help but wonder is melodrama a choice or a necessity? Is melodrama the easy answer for community theatre to be fail safe? Melodrama as 1. in the definition above allows for dismissal of the rules and the loss of characterization - thus just about anyone who can speak confidently on stage can do it. There is no over-acting. There are no rules other then exaggeration. I would like to one day embrace melodrama - but in my recent experiences - I'm just not there yet.

1 comment:

Alex Williams said...

Hey I like the post, but the font color is terribly hard to read. I had to highlight it just to finish it. You might want to reconsider using that in the future. Just a thought, I hope it's not too melodramatic of me to say.