3.23.2010

11 years

It took me 11 years to walk back into a blood donation space and give. I lied about my weight as a senior in High School in order to donate. But they rolled the veins on both of my arms and left me with huge bruises, no donation and a fear of blood donation. I've since been healthy and free of needle pricking until December. I'm still healthy, but had some scans in December that required an IV. I lived. Beyond that, I really wasn't fazed by it at all. So, I decided the next time the opportunity to donate presented itself I was in. That came about this Sunday as the Blood Mobile parked itself in our snowy church parking lot. We spent the morning talking about living a life that counts. We told the starfish story - person throws one of millions of beached starfish back into the sea and says - It matters to that one.
I hesitated on my way out of the church and then just felt really silly that it had taken me 11 years already and another day could not be wasted. So, I did it. It seemed to take a while to draw the blood out, not sure if that was because the bag wasn't agitating or because I was intentionally trying to slow my nervous heart down. I realize that by the nature of my profession I live a life that counts, but there are still many ways that I can make my life count for more. Blood donation is free and takes very little time. It has become to me like donating my hair. I have the ability to grow hair at a fairly fast rate, so when it is long enough I cut it off and donate it to folks who've lost their hair to chemo or disease and grow it out again. It occurs to me now that I have the same ability with blood. I have healthy blood and the ability to reproduce it. It seems downright selfish not to share my hair and blood with those who need it. I hope you would consider doing the same. You'll never know the lives you change/save but one day it could be your own.

No comments: