My fiancé received a speeding ticket last weekend. As I've not gotten a ticket in quite some time I was interested to see this quickly printed document no bigger then a receipt. Among the identifying information name, address, etc was the expected Sex: but unexpected was the answer rather than M, the ticket read Sex: 1
Now assuming the officer recognized my fiancé as male and/or took that information off his driver's license then 1 apparently represents male. Which would lead me to believe 2 is female. But is there a 3? I'd like to be Sex: 52 if you don't mind. This is a case in which my typically supportive of women's rights fiancé thinks I become ridiculous - but I don't. Why is male 1? Is 1 and 2 really easier or more cost efficient in this completely electronic system then M and F? California (and other) sports systems may be going to a no winner sports system for kids to bolster self esteem, but in the real world someone gets the Gold -someone is number 1 and 2nd place is the first loser. It is bad enough that the words themselves female/woman are derived from male/man, but to continue by applying numbers us?
I am not shocked when I hear that Mississippi is canceling prom so 2 girls won't go together and one of them wear pants. Cause God forbid a woman wears pants in 2010! I'm just sad. Sad when people don't understand how little things like Sex:1 do matter because they represent a larger ill that continues to penetrate our society.

2 comments:
Sorry, Sex 52 is already taken. They made up that category just for me.
Have you seen Tim Burton's newest flick? You're quite like Alice, or almost Alice as Absalom would put it. Do you have any idea why a raven is quite like a writing desk?
I have to say that it was amusing to see your reaction to this ticket, as I was present at the time. I agree. Numbering the sexes is quite a foolish thing. I guess the real question is; are "they" too ignorant to understand that this matters, even if it doesn't to "them"?
Or better yet, who exactly makes up "they" anymore? Can you ever escape "them" or will the "they" title simply shift to a new group of oppressors? I suppose I will try to discover why a raven is quite like a writing desk. Seems an easier task.
Post a Comment