2.22.2011

sacrifice or selfish

I'm contemplating how to hold my annual observation of Lent sacred this year. Since the 6th grade I have given up at the least chocolate for Lent every year. Typically my Lenten discipline will include something else as well, added devotion, vegetarianism, no soda, no desserts at all, etc. This year I'm poised with the challenge of my wedding and honeymoon. Do I continue to give up chocolate as I always have and simply eat the white wedding cake and avoid Dominican Republic chocolate? They're not known for chocolate are they? Do I take a mid-Lent break and then tack on a couple weeks after Easter? But then, even having this dilemma causes me to wonder...what is the point of my Lenten Discipline to begin with. If it is such a struggle due the modern constructs of wedding and honeymoon. Is not showing my devotion to faith through a symbolic sacrifice more important then chocolate wedding cake? What did Jesus have to miss when he spent '40' days in the desert? Did he carefully construct the trip to fall just between Ash Wednesday and Easter so as not to conflict with either. Late enough that it will be warm, but not too late so as to not be too warm or conflict with all the rituals of May-senior sunday, confirmation, mother's day... Was a request put in to Joseph for a sabbatical from the carpenter's shop? My latest consideration is to give up Communion, a sacrament that I participate in on average once a week, sometimes more. What does it mean to deny myself the participation in this sacrament for 40 days, then to experience it again for the 'first time' on Easter morning? A friend of mine recently posted the question, "Can we experience/know God's presence w/o also having experienced/known God's absence?"

No comments: