5.15.2008

A Good Hot Day in California

State Supreme Court says same-sex couples have right to marry
In light of this news being all over town today and the celebration both across the bay and in our own hearts, I want with all my own heart to see the light at the end of this struggle. But what do we see? "Opponents Plot Their Strategy:Critics are confident that California voters will OK a constitutional amendment banning gays and lesbians from marrying." Though our mayor claims that what California does, the nation will follow, all I can do is hope and pray. Mostly I wonder about the infinite number of other issues that the government and tax dollars should be spent on then deciding whether or not people who love each other should be legally recognized as such. (That is not a statement to make light of the importance of equal rights for same-sex couples in any way, I do believe there are wrongs that must now be 'righted') I simply don't understand why the government (or the church for that matter) should have any say in who I am allowed to be in love with in the first place. As a dear friend would say, if we'd all just worry about taking care of ourselves and not so much about other's people's business we'd all be a lot better off. As the newscast I just watched reported, there are $21million of needed sidewalk repair in Oakland b/c people are tripping and falling but only $1million dollar budget to work on the problem. I will claim that it hurts a lot more to trip and fall on the concrete then to live, work and play next to a happily married same-sex couple.

No comments: