6.02.2009

i'm sorry, I woke up and it was 1952

This is not okay. I discovered this article after telling the story to my coworkers that you're about to read. This baffles me. Last night I heard the following from a friend who attends a church other than mine: Our youth director received a call today from the program director of their summer mission trip. Program director asks, do you have any colored kids coming on the trip. (I don't know if this was really the reply or added in the story, but I hope it was the actual reply) youth director says, yeah lots of colors what are you looking for. Program director, no seriously do you have any black kids attending the trip. youth director, are you freaking kidding me?! (or a version of such) program director, one of the nights we are going swimming and we need to know if you have any black kids attending because the pool is segregated. youth director makes several statements of shock and appal and I don't yet know what happens from there. I do have faith in this one amazing youth director that right will be done for his kids.
All I have to say is this is not okay of the pool. It is further more unacceptable that an organized church related mission trip would even consider attending such a facility much less to call participating youth directors to see if there will be an issue. Heads need to roll for this. Program director. camp director. mission organization staff. I'm praying for you all through this grave mistake.
I ask how these things can happen still. Aren't there laws, does our not so segregated president have anything to say about this? My coworkers say, someone has to care. Um, it sounds like these prom going kids care. I care. Everyone who I've told this story to cares. I don't want to marr the generally good reputation of a large scale mission trip, but this is not okay. I'm proud to be a part of an organization that will have no such activities and will make an active stand against them. Bradford, leave the comforts of Berkeley and go home and save these people from themselves!

1 comment:

Alex Williams said...

This is the most depressing article I have read in a long time. I do not understand racism. I understand how an individual can not understand a culture because it is different, but that is not the case here. It's not like America is new to different cultures. Does the melting pot ring any bells. We are supposed to be the most diverse nation, and yet we were founded on racism and it continues today. I simply do not understand. The more different a culture is from mine, the more I am intrigued by it and cannot wait to learn more about it. I seek out difference so that I can learn about it and become a part of it. Why am I so different from so many?

I feel as though "that's how we have always done it" is one of the most offensive statements I hear. No matter if it is segregated proms, the clothes people are "supposed" to wear in church, or anything in between.