I am blessed with an abundance of folks who want to know what can we do to help. This has been a difficult question to answer. First I fight
pride, in which I tell myself that I can do it all (and if I had to I could). Then I hit my personal endeavor to have balance in life, even in the times of chaos. But, what do I need help with? My employers have been gracious in giving me space to take care of Joe (and I already work from home a great deal, so that helps). My in-laws, in the midst of their own chaos, have been fantastic to us, as always. Even as I type this Joe's Dad continues to work on our bathroom renovation. Friends and family have visited and come over to stay with Joe when it has been necessary for me to leave the house for work or 1 quick run to the grocery store. Which brings us to food. When each day falls into line, the only thing I really don't feel like I've been able to keep up with is food. (I think the patient is trying to make up for the 5 days in the hospital when he ate a total of about 8 chicken nuggets and a breakfast sandwich) I had a good start the first couple of days home from the hospital. But, as the days went on and I've been working more along with taking care of Joe, the house and the bathroom -having diverse and nutritious food was starting to lack. I mentioned this to one of my wonderful congregants and asked if she might have recipes or suggestions for food that I could make easily and would freeze and reheat well. I did not get any recipes or suggestions. What we have gotten is food.
I have been in the church my entire life. I know that when crisis hits the people of the church make casseroles. My family did it growing up. I've done it. I've seen churches across the country do it. But, in all of that, I've never been on the receiving end. I have had no idea what a truly tremendous blessing this is. To know that I can go to the freezer and not just pull out a frozen pizza or a can of soup from the cabinet, but a ready to go home cooked meal. I nearly tear up just thinking and writing about it. My husband gets the nourishment he needs to heal, while I still have time for the many extra loads of wash (thanks to night sweats..gross), cleaning, work and who knew - a few extra moments each day to just spend time with each other.
So, as difficult as it was to ask for help. I am so deeply grateful to everyone who has given to us. I pray that everyone has a community of friends, family, coworkers, congregants that steps up to help out in times of chaos. I hope that this reminds me, that even in the busiest of 'normal' it is always possible to just make a double portion of dinner and give it to someone in need. I challenge myself (and anyone reading) to look around and see if there is someone we can give to before they even ask...new parents, recent widow, sick parent, injured spouse, single parent, family moving, lost job...how the list goes on. I think pride might be the vain of more folks than just me, but why have community if we can't help each other?
No comments:
Post a Comment