2.19.2008

abundant life

So, I can't decide if it's just been a particularly engaging week since I began blogging or if my life is always spattered with these interesting moments but I'm more aware to them now that I hold a space for possible blog topics in the back of my mind. However, as I sit to write tonight, I find one noteworthy event holding the spotlight in my mind and heart.

Saturday afternoon, I attended the ordination of a dear friend, it was positively beautiful. Simply a room dancing with the spirit. I shed a tear not just because of the beauty, but because it was so right. Surrounded by a company of LGBTQ clergy, an openly gay man was fully ordained into the ministry of the church with his partner standing next to him. The communities gathered to love and support my friend gave true witness to diversity in ministry. The leather community which he is connected to had a leather stole, with PRIDE colors made in support. We sang, laughed, cried and partook of communion fully presided and served by clergy and laity across the . Saturday afternoon was the children of Jesus eating in remembrance, more vividly than my life may have ever seen before. Will our institutions ever love and treat with equality all of God's beautiful children?

This beautifu rite was the beginning of a wonderful and exhausting visit to LA. With Amerifriends, we went dancing in Venice, hiking in Santa Monica, slept on the cold beach (I've never been to an LA beach and been warm), went to Hollywood, ate sushi, saw a movie, discussed dating at a dive bar, strolled the Getty Villa, lounged, ate Indian, shopped and found a fun new band called What Made Milwaukee Famous..they're from Austin.

No comments: