2.28.2008

Don't Mess With Texas

I have spent many breaths apologizing, reclaiming and defending a state I really love. I have often reflected on why this is. Do Texans really have more state pride and investment than citizen's of other states? Is Texas just big and loud enough to be the one most often picked on, lending it to needing the most defense? Or do we really deserve all the razzing and grief?
I read an article on the New York Times site tonight that in its humorist manner, really spoke some unapologetic truth in line with my feelings about Texas. Scan it for yourself:
We’re Big, We’re Back, We’re Texas
Texas, just like my family, my church, my school and myself has done and continues to do and say things that I wish we hadn't. Being a United Methodist from Texas, like our current president, does not mean that I voted for or agree with anything he has done. It does mean that as another fallible human being in our world I pray for him. I pray that Mr. Bush, like the rest of us, comes often and quickly to humility and love for other's as ourselves. I pray that everyone will visit Texas and that you receive an honest dose of our hospitality before choosing to rant against us again. It may not be the same for you, but when you talk about Texas to me, your talking about my family. We're trying to make our way, too, we just tend to be a little louder, say things like ya'll and fixin' to but its all out of love.
Ya'll come see us real soon, we're fixin' to have supper and there's always extra.