2.22.2008

I'm not typically afraid of the dark

I recently read Parker Palmer's Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation as a requirement for my Lay Spiritual Praxis course. How fitting, that I just happen to be waiting for the voice of vocation to scream at me (I can be hard of hearing when it comes to life choices). Many cards, bookmarks and hope filled kitsch put forth the notion of a window/door opening in order to lead you to the next event in life. When one door closes, may another open..etc. Palmer has a chapter which has lingered with me called, When way closes. Rather than looking for the new way that is opening, Palmer suggests that way has closed and if we turn around we are standing in a room full of opportunity and simply need to look around. The door of seminary is quickly closing behind me (I even wonder if my writers block in my 10 hour effort yesterday to write my thesis is because of this sense of finality). I am desperately searching for a door or window to open. But, Palmer (and my mother in a conversation many weeks ago) has made me wonder if I am standing in the room. If this is true, I can't see a darn thing and I'd love for someone to at least let me know where the light switch is.

1 comment:

Adam said...

It seems as if you and I are potentially on a similar journey right now. I resonated with your last post. Thanks for sharing it. It made me feel not so alone right now in the dark room.