7.31.2008

another rant of sorts

It is time to get busy when post after post is a rant not of the latest news report, but of my daily encounters in life. I need to cease with the errand running, car fixing, apartment hunt type of life and become again too busy to take care of things and totally consumed in my work so that the actual world does not drive me completely insane. Today I would like to talk about the Dallas rental market and the economic segregation of today. It seems down every street I turn a third of the houses are for sale or lease. I did not expect to see so many houses and apartments on the market. After a week of calling and emailing contact information found on such signs I can tell you why. No one is answering the phone or returning messages. It must be difficult to find a buyer or renter when you're ignoring them! Enough said on that. The economic divide..and I apologize those who've heard this already..I'm a bit struck by it. I've driven at almost random over a fair part of the Dallas area in the last couple weeks looking at properties and neighborhoods that I might fancy myself to live in. I've decided Dallas is the striking example of the rich being richer and the poor being poorer, thus the disappearance of the middle class. The middle class must be in the Dallas suburbs or living in homes beyond their means in Dallas proper. The rich seem to live in pockets surrounded by neighborhoods of the people who serve them - the poor. Unfortunately with this goes a bit of sketchiness and high crime rates. I find it really sad. This is just the observation of a couple weeks of my own house hunting and no solid data but my own experience, so I would love for one more acquainted with Dallas to prove me mistaken. Until then..the search goes on for home sweet home...

No comments: