3.07.2008
Finding God in Seminary
During my discernment process to discover whether to go to seminary, where to go to seminary and what degree program (one leading to ordination or not) I was blessed to have a wonderful mentor walk with me. She once said to me, half the people in seminary will have come looking to find God. I was, and have continued to be, struck by this idea. I continue to be because it is true, but not in the ways I originally imagined. It wasn't that people didn't have God at all and came to find out what this whole religion thing is about. After blogging recently about a lack of theological or seminarian study related dialogue outside of the classroom, the last two days have been filled with such conversation. Conversation I knew I needed and still didn't realize how much. I've also found people really talking about God and Jesus, out loud. Those of you not in seminary reading this might find that to be an odd statement. But, I have been astounded and confounded at how little I here folks talk about either, in or outside of the classroom and I don't think its just because I tend more toward the 'academic' courses than the 'MDiv' (mostly people prepping to church pastors) courses. We (any person who has attended seminary) need to be really comfortable talking about faith, even if (and hopefully we don't) we don't have all the answers flushed out completely. The time is now, to work through our issues of speaking about God's sovereignty, did Jesus have to die, why, what's the deal with the trinity, how do we have interfaith dialogue, theodicy.... Now I feel like I'm wining, when really I'm abundantly grateful for the conversation that I have found and fully recognize that may be I didn't look hard enough before I started complaining.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment