3.25.2008

sit, squat or stand

After an apparently very quick bathroom stop today, my friend said, what'd you do, stand? Which launched us into a comical, yet possibly universal conversation. I have a dilemma (which I now know at least one person to share) about squatting. It seems to me that if we all sat down, then no one would miss and therefore the seats wouldn't be dirty and the need to squat in the first place would be eliminated. So, I feel by squatting (in an apparently very clean public bathroom) I am not acting in truth to my belief that we should all sit. My friend concurred in saying she wondered if some other part of someone else was hitting the seat that she just didn't get. In that, people sit in public places with these little short shorts on all the time and that is okay, we're not worried about getting wild diseases off the park bench (mostly). Is there some other part of your body that is hitting the toilet seat that my friend and I are just not getting? I wondered if this was an AIDS scare hangover or just an 'old wives tale' and suggested that we send it to MythBusters for a verdict.

2 comments:

Searching Soul (a.k.a Darleen Pryds) said...

New reason not to sit: you could stick to the seat. Check out this story on Sfgate:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/03/26/national/a170311D37.DTL&tsp=1

Searching Soul (a.k.a Darleen Pryds) said...

BTW: didn't mean to make light of the woman's ordeal. But I read that story literally after I first read your blog.