3.25.2008

still a man's world/church?

Every once in a while I get a hankering to look for jobs (I do graduate in two months, so may be that should be more of a priority than a hankering, hmm). Last night, on one of these whims, spawned by research for my synthesis regarding worship design, I stumbled back upon www.churchjobs.net. I would love to design/direct worship, but I do not have the ability to direct a band or choir. I was pleased to actually find two postings in which this was a possibility after weeding through the dozens of Worship Leader postings. First, let me say it is time that the churches and job posting sites separate worship arts minister and music minister. These can be but do not need to be one and the same. Someone who is extremely musically talented does not necessarily have an overall competency in the arts and their full inclusion in the worship experience. I would dare to say the the majority of really talented worship musicians are not at all multi-disciplined in the arts, because their proficiency in one area must consume so much time.
Anyhow, my real gripe with my search was the large number of postings looking for a "man of God" or describing the ideal candidate by saying, "he will..." And if the posting is not quite clear I can hop over to the website where the entire staff team is male or at worst only the administrative assistants are female. I forget on Holy Hill that the world still has so far to go.

1 comment:

Searching Soul (a.k.a Darleen Pryds) said...

Keep the faith. And continue living out your vocation to create worship opportunities. It may be the worship you create is outside institutional church.