3.23.2008

Cheers to 2094

The SFGate Reports, "A 114-year-old woman, considered the oldest person in Texas, has died at a Dallas retirement home..."She told me once that the secret to a long life is she spent six months minding her own business and six months leaving other people alone," said Ruby Perkins Williams, a great-grandniece."
The article reports that, Arbella Perkins Ewings lived on her own until she fell at 113 and broke her hip, causing her to move into a retirement home.
After celebrating her 114 birthday on March 13, she peacefully passes 10 days later, just as she was quoted at her party to have been telling everyone she wouldn't be around much longer, it was time to meet her maker.
Does it take 114 years to live a life so full as to be as joyful and celebratory as I imagine this woman to be as death comes close? She lost her only daughter in 70 and husband in 77. 30+ years is a long time to outlive anybody.
A friend and I were talking about funerals upon leaving a Good Friday service and I said just through a big party when I'm gone. And her response was that is what all the folks in good standing with God say. (she gets pastor points for that) Most of the time I stand in solidarity with the platypus, having to believe that God has a good sense of humor. Otherwise, my standing might be questionable. So, on this Easter, I hope to live as I imagine the life of Mrs. Arbella Perkins Ewings, I'll try my best to mind my own business for six months and leave other folks alone for six months, whether I have one more day or 87 years.

1 comment:

Searching Soul (a.k.a Darleen Pryds) said...

Thanks for this post. I just finished reading May Sarton's A Reckoning, about a woman with terminal cancer preparing to die. So my thoughts are about how we live and how we prepare ourselves to die. I like her advice. Great inspiration for my post-Lenten discipline.