3.05.2008
the undecided
I'm one of those who will shyly and with embarrassment admit that I am not as political as one should be, especially one who spends significant time working on issues of social justice. That said, voting in a primary election is almost foreign to me. I have exercised my freedom to vote in both presidential elections since entering voting age, but not more. After witnessing the energy around the primary elections in California, I looked up Texas Voting since that is where I continue to be a resident and registered. I downloaded, completely, even called the Travis County Clerk to verify the address and mailed my application for an absentee ballot. It arrived a week or so later and has since sat, opened, on my desk. I've watched more debates, read more issue positions and even looked up Voter's Guides for help on local elections that I know absolutely nothing about. But, as the Texas primaries roll in and out today, the ballot remains on my desk. Turns out the election is really close in Texas and every vote may really matter (not often the case for a Texas who doesn't align with the Republican Party). But, who would I vote for? I still don't know. Do I vote for the one I think has the greatest chance of winning it all? Do I vote for the woman? Do I vote for the one my more politically active friends are voting for? Generally, I would ask how many other people remained undecided on voting day, but the large turn out at Texas polls today makes me think I fall to the minority this time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment