I often think that it takes more than an act of God (not that I actually believe there is anything more than an act of God) to enact change in the United Methodist Church. And yet, I remain a member of this body and intend to continue to worship and fellowship within it in hopes of enacting that exact change which I wonder if it is possible. Today begins the first day of our General Conference which happens every four years. With any luck, I hope to blog a lot in the next week and a half about some of the issues on the table or happenings around conference. It is taking place in my home conference, but alas I am in California this spring and not able to attend any events in person. Thus far today I find most interesting two headlines of the day, one a discussion on UM divesting in companies to show support in opposing Israeli settlements in Palestinian land and the other on whether or not it is time to create a new UMC Hymnal. (*update on 4/30 entry) Committees on both came to some directives and will report back at the next General Conference..in four years. Does it really need to take four more years to decide if we need a new hymnal? By the time that decision is made and a hymnal created, approved and published it'll be time to talk about a new one. And, I pray the situation in Palestine will be completely different and for the better in four years. For always, but especially this week, I ask you to join me and many others in praying for this delegation of our church as they make some very important decisions, even beyond hymnals.
You can find all the articles in the links above. Here are some interesting findings from surveys listed in the Hymnal article that I find curious and questionable.
The top three favorites in the current United Methodist Hymnal are "Amazing Grace," "Here I Am, Lord" and "How Great Thou Art."
The top three favorite hymns from The Faith We Sing songbook are "The Summons," "I’ll Fly Away" and "As the Deer."
The top favorite of United Methodists under 30 is "Be Thou My Vision."
The No. 1 requested hymn to include in a new hymnal: "Eternal Father, Strong to Save."
Top three requests to include an updated United Methodist Hymnal or in The Faith We Sing: "Love Lifted Me," "Open the Eyes of My Heart" and "God Bless America."
Others findings indicate that the:
Most frequently sung non-Christmas hymns over the past three years are "Amazing Grace," "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" and "Blessed Assurance."
Most frequent songs from The Faith We Sing are "Shine, Jesus, Shine," "Sanctuary" and "They’ll Know We Are Christians by Our Love."
Ten percent of pastors, worship planners and chief musicians expressed interest in multiple languages in the Psalter.
Thirty-six percent prefer the Psalter as it is now presented, 27 percent prefer not to include the chanting, 38 percent would like Psalms set as hymns and songs.
Seventy-five percent would like to have Healing Services in the hymnal.
The least-used worship service in the hymnal is Word and Table IV, unused by 34 percent.
Forty-three percent want more praise choruses in the hymnal; 34 percent do not.
Seventy percent sing the melodies of our hymns; 61 percent will sing harmony when it is provided.
Seventy percent are comfortable using male-only language for God, 25 percent are comfortable using female language for God, and 42 percent are comfortable using male or female language for God.
Twenty-eight percent prefer to sing lyrics on a screen; 70 percent prefer to use a hymnal or songbook.
Sixty-five percent prefer Wesley texts with their traditional tunes; 33 percent prefer contemporary tunes.
4.23.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment