
I eat my words. "Authorization of a committee to develop the new hymnal came 20 years after adoption of the first official United Methodist Hymnal. " Even if the vote was 450-438 I'm grateful to see us not just think about a new hymnal but working on one. I am extremely curious, almost enough to inquire what the credentials needed to be on the committee to develop the new hymnal are. I'd love to just be a fly on the wall to learn how a new hymnal is developed and witness the discussions. What stays/what's added/what's reworked. I have a deep passion for developing new liturgy and re-visioning that which we have now. With the hymnal being one of our three basic texts for the designing of UMC worship, I would be beside myself to be privy to these conversations in the coming years.
Even half way across the country I feel a positive energy of hope coming out of conference. My skepticism and anxiety as conference began almost a week ago has turned to another reason to wish I were in Texas right now. A dear friend has just returned to say he experienced some of the most spiritually charged moments while doing street ministry that he has ever felt during such an action. May we no longer be remembered for arrests and broken chalices, but for A Future (and Present) of Hope.

No comments:
Post a Comment