4.08.2008

One World, One Dream



I write this in appreciation for the protesters and the media coverage today. People do things in this city that have begun to raise the bar for the outrageous. If you haven't seen the reports yet, the three specs below the signs are people and they are a long way up the suspension lines of the Golden Gate Bridge. I am very impressed with their respectful attitudes in getting their message out and then coming down voluntarily. I do appreciate that they risked the lives of bridge workers and have qualms about that. They appear and the media represented them as well organized, wearing helmets, having gear, prepared to be arrested and fined, etc. Good protesters, especially in a city where I would venture to guess more people have protested than not, need to be prepared. These folks today, extreme as it was, get my kudos for preparation in their demonstration. It takes drastic measures to get a message really heard and this seems like constructive drastic measures rather than some of the more violent attacks we've seen in London and France. I hope our city's statements in support of Tibet continue to be productive, constructive and non-violent throughout the week.

No comments: