I learned again today that, particularly, those things, ideas, concepts that I think I have a broad and intentional perspective on are actually quite limited. More on that another time, may be. What I really want to talk about is that concept which was expanded for me today. Transitions. I'm big on transitions. Transitions in worship, in shows, in a day, in moving across the country.... I believe transitions make up a significant portion of our life, but are not given nearly the respect and attention they deserve. Thinking about it now, transition could be added to the list of things inevitable in life: waiting, death and transitions (i think that's suppose to be death and taxes, but I've moved on from there). Transitions in worship are my particular Achilles heal right now. Give me good transitions in a service and even if your message is on another planet, I'll go with you. Muck it all up and you've lost me. How do we open a service, move into a song, into prayer, out of prayer, connected six seemingly unrelated subjects like Oscar Romero, Earth Day, a text we wish were not in the Bible from Joshua, archeology... in one sermon? (That last example was done successively by a Prof. in Chapel today..kudos)
Alas, the bigger picture that makes me want to spew idiotic sounds like yellow cartoons..the life-cycle is one big transition!! Hello. Thank you InterPlay lecture/play! birth is a transition out of death, life is full of transitions that are obvious, death is a transition out of birth/life into ancestors, ancestors are our transition from death of 'life' to birth, birth is our transition out of death... I'm in love. Its an African tradition that my Christian tradition (as noted in class) fits so perfectly in. Thus, if I am so committed to transitions I really need to analyze how I'm taking on this transition between birth and death. Am I tracking or am I mucking it all up?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment